The Site For Sore Eyes - Your Eye On The Web
FAQFAQ SearchSearch MembersMembers GroupsGroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile MessagesMessages Log inLog in
Site For Sore Eyes Home Today's News Site For Sore Eyes Forums Web Site Directory Site For Sore Eyes Sponsors Contact Us Site For Sore Eyes Tools

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Site For Sore Eyes Forum Index -> Get It Back Archive -> My Take On Hair Loss
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dash

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about genetics. Propecia and Minoxidil can slow progression down but will never totally halt hair loss. I am not at sold on grunge method working.

The thing I noticed as I get older (45 now) the less hair loss bothers me. I have have receding temples and small spot in the back and have been on propecia for about last 7 years so that has probably slowed down the hair loss.

My hair loss in temples started in late twenties and was very slow. I think if you really start losing hair in late teens, it is hard to stop it. Just my opinion

House
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originally posted by Dash
It's all about genetics. Propecia and Minoxidil can slow progression down but will never totally halt hair loss. I am not at sold on grunge method working.

Dash, after 16 months of not using shampoo and not getting any results except further hairloss I am sort of in agreement with you on this grunge not working. I would also have to say that genetics is why one does or doesn't go bald and the genetics on my mother's side isn't good. This SLS theory at least from my experience so far is turning out to be a crock.

Maybe Hairguy will prove me wrong and that's why I am going to stick around to see how much of a difference 10 years of grunge can do.

Dash, since you take Propecia and I work for the drug companies according to Uncle Buck, can you tell me based on your own experience of grunge, do you think grunge made a difference, made it worse, or made no difference whatsoever.

[size=small]

[Edit by House on Friday, May 5, 2006 @ 19:36][/size]

Dash

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went grunge for about 3 months so maybe not a true test but my scalp always itched, hair was oily and since I really don't have a lot of hair fallout other than what is considered normal, I can't say fallout decreased.

Regrowth in temple area, no but maybe not long enough for true test. Overall the grunge experience was not good for me and I think shampooing is fine as long as you use a non SLS mild shampoo. I use the below shampoo and have listed ingredients. And no I don't sell it and not trying to solicit others to buy it, just what I use.

Classic Gold Hair Shampoo
All natural beauty shampoo, contains the world's finest vegetable based soap with the following ingredients; aloe, almond, and A, E & D oils.

Dash

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also want to add, I do not think Propecia is a cure all but I think it is a must for anyone trying to curb hairloss. Minoxidil is also helpful and not that expensive now but kind of a hassle to use.

I have never had any side effects and cost is reasonable if you buy it as Finesteride and quarter the pills. Also some buy generic pills from India and see no difference than USA version.

[size=small]

[Edit by Dash on Friday, May 5, 2006 @ 19:59][/size]

God Dam
Moving On Up

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:rolleyes:

45 with receding temples. Enough said....

jonnyJ
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like we may all be screwed. I am hoping for some positive postings by WindowsPeak and Hairguy soon.
MossRoesis
Sniffin Around

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, and as you can see with the tons and tons of successful regrowth pictures I don't find it odd at all that you came to this conclusion Dash. There are a few people on this board that will swear by it for comfort. but yes, you're right, you are going to have to interfere with molecular pathways in your body either by diet, drugs, or exercise to change or slow down any kind of hair loss. This will at most, just slow down the inevitable. Eventually genes will make the ultimate decision of phenotype whether we like it or not.
Dash

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by enough said?

Originally posted by God Dam

Dash

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also want to add that although hair loss is a bummer, it is fashionable to shave it all off. Lot of women find it very sexy. Even some Hollywood actors are going with shaved head, best example off the top of my head is Bruce Willis.

Grunge may have some merit but at this time science has Propecia and Minoxidil to offer. Not cures but treatments. I think best hope for future hair loss is cloning of hair. I suspect it will become available within 10 years but will be very expensive. At my age I doubt I would consider it cost aside.

In closing, I think trying treatments is fine but don't go overboard on spending a lot of money on it. pretty tough to out fox mother nature.

House
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originally posted by God Dam

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Mad Dog what exactly are you getting at with your "enough said".

God Dam
Moving On Up

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, as in:

I'm 45 with receeded temples. Hairloss does not bother me.

In most cases, I don't even think receeded temples should count as hairloss. Let alone, having receeded temples at 45.

The bad thing about receeded temples though- If they get bad enough, IMO, it makes it look like you're wearing a toupee.

If and when your hairline starts receeding then I want to hear about it not bothering you. Not belittling your hairloss, just my feelings.

* funny how I'm arguing his baldness, like it's the cool thing to have :p

The_Ruffneck
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been grunge 15 months as of tomorrow and i'd have to agree with what has been said : it is genetic but sped up by unhealthy western lifestyle.Same reasons as why puberty keeps starting at earlier age in our society.

I think 15 months is long enough to see at least some results even if it be halting but i seem to be still losing and i am taking beta-sis , grape seed extract and l'arginine.

I pulled about 20 vellous hairs from my temples today with some tweezers but it is quite hard to pull such hair as it is so brittle it often comes out without the root.It is rare that i let the vellous hair grow out around my hairline and temples as i like to shave it (just the vellous) with a razor because people think it's grey hair!

I will definately look into some proven cures eg minox or something with more backing than grunge etc when i have some more $$ (within the next 2-3 months likely) but will continue practising grunge purely for the fact my hair does not need shampoo anymore (though i did wash my hair with some olive oil and an egg last night).

I have done scalp exercises intermittently (sp?) throughout my 'regime' but am definetaly now sticking to 500 scalp repetitions every 2nd day , 400 normal and 100 with some resistance on there.I may increase the number in the coming week.

Dash

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks God Damn for responding.

Yes I would like to have a full head of hair like I did in my twenties but now at 45 hair loss doesn't bother me as much. I guess now I have other things I am more worried about like having enough money to retire, having good health and other things that go with aging.

I do relate to others that are losing their hair and are very young. I remember when I first started to see my hair recede, I am like oh my god I am going bald. Tried a lot of concoctions to try and save hair and then decided to just use Propecia and mild shampoo and let nature take its course.

I do have the receded temples and small spot in the back and hair is not as thick as when I was a kid but I have accepted things.

This is a good forum to brainstorm and see what others are doing to combat hair loss. Hope I can add some useful information here and there.

The_Ruffneck
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originally posted by The_Ruffneck
I will definately look into some proven cures eg minox or something with more backing than grunge etc when i have some more $$

LoL 2 days now and no replies to this , if it was 2005 or earlier i'd have plenty of people advising me to stick to grunge in my opinion.

Support for "grunge = the complete answer to regrowth" is drying up i am afraid.

Dash

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think grunge might work for some people but I don't see how it can work when DHT is the culprit, that is why Propecia has been effective. It reduces DHT production.

Minoxidil is somewhat of an unknown as to why it does regrow some hair. It has not been that effective in frontal area for regrowth. Then again frontal area is the most difficult to regrow.

In my opininion the best you can do is slow down or halt hair loss and any regrowth is a bonus

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Site For Sore Eyes Forum Index -> Get It Back Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: