The Site For Sore Eyes - Your Eye On The Web
FAQFAQ SearchSearch MembersMembers GroupsGroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile MessagesMessages Log inLog in
Site For Sore Eyes Home Today's News Site For Sore Eyes Forums Web Site Directory Site For Sore Eyes Sponsors Contact Us Site For Sore Eyes Tools

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Site For Sore Eyes Forum Index -> Get It Back Archive -> My visit to the doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guitarius
On A Mission

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i told her everything i had wrong with me including diffuse thinning, (to which she said
u are eh? not even really noticing herself), the first thing she says after im done bitching
my probs is............ID LOVE TO SEE WHATS GOING ON WITH UR THYROID!
hahahaha just as i thought! shes like it sounds to me like ur hyperthyroid, does it run in
your fam? I said not that i know of, to which my grandmother told me shortly after that her
AND my greatgrandmother have thyroid probs including a second cousin of mine! so im
getting tested for it and i should know in a week or so. And even if its not thyroid probs
then shes gonna treat me for anxiety which itself can be the cause of my hair thinning. so
im very happy right now. Either way im gonna get treated and my is probably gonna get
better. friggin MPB
dsim
Moving On Up

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i thought that might be one of the underlying causes. I suggest that even if the the blood test comes back not showing any problems, like it did for me the first time, might not mean you are clear. As the thyroid function can often go up and then down to normal for hyperthyroidism or vice versa for hypothyroidism. Get some iodine into your diet. I heard kelp supplements are the best way to go.
guitarius
On A Mission

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no man my doc is very good, im getting blood tests, and an ultrasound on my throat and
now that she knows its more prevalent in my family than baldness even i dont think she'd
let up until she has ruled it out beyond any possible doubt. But either way,even if its not
that, its anxiety disorder, which iteself can cause the type of hairloss im experiencing. So
you have hyperthyroidism man? wat symptoms do you have? I read that when 50% of
males develop some type of thyroid disease its cancerous, thats kinda scary......but i guess
only time will tell....I just cant wait to start getting treated for watev i have and start
looking and feeling like myself again. peace
guitarius
On A Mission

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s, i have every symptom in the book except for the tough shin skin and the hand
tremors, everything else i have oh and also bulging eyes although my eyes are dry and
irritated all the time. oh and the thyroid disorder book says that the hairloss experienced
in hyperthyroidism makes ur hair fine, soft and diffusely thinned, my hair EXACTLY. Im
just talking about this as though you have it as well, do you?
The_Ruffneck
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your old doctor you should have DEMANDED a thyroid check , or said something like 'my friend has a similar thing to what i'm experiencing and he has a thyroid problem.I'd like some checks to see if i have anything similar to him'

But it's good that you are getting somewhere.

guitarius
On A Mission

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no well i told the other guy two years ago exactly wat i told this new doc, except my
syptoms are worse and I could tell hes kinda looking at me like im a hypochondriac and
ruled out thyroid disease from the get go. But the more feedback i get about this the more
i think it's what i have, i talked to my grandma this morning and she has pretty much the
same symptoms as me.
GSER
Found A Purpose

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware of the anti-anxiety drugs she might give you. I know someone who wasput on Paxil and it took 3 years to wean them off. It also cause wierd changes in their personality.
guitarius
On A Mission

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, if its not thyroid problems and is indeed anxiety, id much rather become a paxil
junkie than continue to feel the way i feel, ANY DAY, i cant live like this anymore, anything
is better, even if it is drug addiction! haha I've been panicking all day long and now im
worn out and look like absolute shit id much rather pop pills and lose a couple years off
my life than have the years i have now completely and utterly destroyed by days like this,
which are becoming increasingly common.
dsim
Moving On Up

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originally posted by guitarius
no man my doc is very good, im getting blood tests, and an ultrasound on my throat and
now that she knows its more prevalent in my family than baldness even i dont think she'd
let up until she has ruled it out beyond any possible doubt. But either way,even if its not
that, its anxiety disorder, which iteself can cause the type of hairloss im experiencing. So
you have hyperthyroidism man? wat symptoms do you have? I read that when 50% of
males develop some type of thyroid disease its cancerous, thats kinda scary......but i guess
only time will tell....I just cant wait to start getting treated for watev i have and start
looking and feeling like myself again. peace

Nah not hyper but hypo-thyroidism which is the opposite ,and only mild. More a function of environmental factors than anything. Fits in with everything too including my stress. Hypothyroidism is where your thyroid is slowed down and you don't get enough of the hormone which leads to other imbalances including hair loss. From your symptoms its what you have. My mum works in the health system and told me about a patient who had an extreme case of stress where everything was going wrong, she had lost her house in a fire, had all these bills to pay and nothing went right for 2+ years. Her thyroid was in such a bad shape that her eyes looked like they were popping out of her skull. The doctors thought it must be genetic or due to some other irreversible damage. Once she had re-settled into a new home got herself back onto her feet and things started going right, in no time her thyroid started improving and everything went back to normal.

There is a drug which synthesizes the hormone called thyroxine or something but I was warned in not taking it prematurely as it might create an imbalance in your endocrine system with other hormones and you will end up needing to take it for life. Try naturally boosting your thyroid first. Best way is to reduce stress. Exercise and relaxation tapes at least once, preferably twice a day morning and night are the way to go. If you ever find yourself getting stressed drop whatever you are doing/thinking if possible and come back to it. Doing some mundane tasks like reading or brushing your hair also helps to relax because we aren't using a large part of our brain and multitasking but only a small part of the brain and thus helping to reduce the stress. Also, like I said boost your iodine intake from kelp or other sources. Hope this helps.

guitarius
On A Mission

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no man, im HYPERthyroid, if there's anything wrong with my thyroid at all, definitely not
hypo, im twenty pounds less than i should be and cannot put the weight back on. The
hair symtoms for hyper are also what im experiencing, soft, fine and diffusely thinned
all over. like my relatives have hypo, well a cousin has hyper but i hear its not the type
of thyroid problem that runs in your fam but thyroid probs in general. So i have too
much thyroid hormone and I dont think its stress man, im in a relatively stress free
environmnt now, i was very stressed before but i had reason to be, now i dont and i feel
MORE anxious than before. The treatments for hyperthyroidism are thyroid
suppressants, radioactive iodine that kills or partially kills the thyroid or removal of the
thyroid, in which you then need to take synthetic thyroid. Man, im getting treated, my
doc knows how bad my life is because of this and I'd would much rahter get treated and
face the consequences of the drugs later than feel like this another second.

K, some questions for you, did you have trouble swallowing? and do your eyes water
and irritate you all day long? What other symptoms did you or do you have? Diarrhea?
Constipation? I have both alternating, mostly diarrhea tho, i havent had a solid shit in a
couple of weeks now. How long did you feel symptoms before you got treated? Does it
come and go? (Mine is always there but way worse some days and different symptoms
on different days of the week). And finally the big question, are you losing touch with
the world through your senses? k i wat im experiencing is like poor vision but for all my
senses and my thoughts, its like the world is hazy or foggy around me. Im getting more
and more stuck in my thoughts. Like seriously, hairloss right now is probaly the least of
my worries, my other symptoms have gotten so bad, theyre ruining relationships,
school and my quality of life.

dsim
Moving On Up

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no man, im HYPERthyroid, if there's anything wrong with my thyroid at all, definitely not
hypo, im twenty pounds less than i should be and cannot put the weight back on. The
hair symtoms for hyper are also what im experiencing, soft, fine and diffusely thinned
all over. like my relatives have hypo, well a cousin has hyper but i hear its not the type
of thyroid problem that runs in your fam but thyroid probs in general. So i have too
much thyroid hormone and I dont think its stress man, im in a relatively stress free
environmnt now, i was very stressed before but i had reason to be, now i dont and i feel
MORE anxious than before. The treatments for hyperthyroidism are thyroid
suppressants, radioactive iodine that kills or partially kills the thyroid or removal of the
thyroid, in which you then need to take synthetic thyroid. Man, im getting treated, my
doc knows how bad my life is because of this and I'd would much rahter get treated and
face the consequences of the drugs later than feel like this another second.

K, some questions for you, did you have trouble swallowing? and do your eyes water
and irritate you all day long? What other symptoms did you or do you have? Diarrhea?
Constipation? I have both alternating, mostly diarrhea tho, i havent had a solid shit in a
couple of weeks now. How long did you feel symptoms before you got treated? Does it
come and go? (Mine is always there but way worse some days and different symptoms
on different days of the week). And finally the big question, are you losing touch with
the world through your senses? k i wat im experiencing is like poor vision but for all my
senses and my thoughts, its like the world is hazy or foggy around me. Im getting more
and more stuck in my thoughts. Like seriously, hairloss right now is probaly the least of
my worries, my other symptoms have gotten so bad, theyre ruining relationships,
school and my quality of life.

I had lost touch with a few of my senses and often suffered dizzy spells and foggy black outs. Retained weight easily, felt lethargic throughout the day, disruptive sleep patterns etc. It was generally mild like I said and most probably caused by my stress.

guitarius
On A Mission

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i heard that stress can offset ur thyroid making the problem come out when maybe it
would not have if not stressed, and vice versa that thyroid probs can cause excess
stress. Vicious cunt of a circle. but see we have opposite things man, (if thats wat i
have! i keep saying that not to jinx it!) i get lethargic too but generally after hours of
nervous energy that burns me out. but yeah the foggy black out things are a money way
to describe the sensation. Its not seeing black per say but its like ur mind is cloudy, ive
even gone as far as losing track of conversations cause i get stuck in em. but man, the
main thing i wanted to know, was urs on and off? like yesterday i wanted to be alone
and not see anyone cause i felt so awkwards and anxious, and today i felt semi normal.
Im just asking u all this shit cause its nice to be able to share this shit with SOMEBODY,
i talked to my grandmother who's hypo and she basically described wat symptoms i
have but cold alot and weight gain instead of loss, but other than that, when i told my
father,, he basically didnt believe me, he's lke wait till the test results come bakc, then
what are you gonna do when its negative? and half the world doesnt even know they
have a thyroid so.....haha
dsim
Moving On Up

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i heard that stress can offset ur thyroid making the problem come out when maybe it
would not have if not stressed, and vice versa that thyroid probs can cause excess
stress. Vicious cunt of a circle. but see we have opposite things man, (if thats wat i
have! i keep saying that not to jinx it!) i get lethargic too but generally after hours of
nervous energy that burns me out. but yeah the foggy black out things are a money way
to describe the sensation. Its not seeing black per say but its like ur mind is cloudy, ive
even gone as far as losing track of conversations cause i get stuck in em. but man, the
main thing i wanted to know, was urs on and off? like yesterday i wanted to be alone
and not see anyone cause i felt so awkwards and anxious, and today i felt semi normal.
Im just asking u all this shit cause its nice to be able to share this shit with SOMEBODY,
i talked to my grandmother who's hypo and she basically described wat symptoms i
have but cold alot and weight gain instead of loss, but other than that, when i told my
father,, he basically didnt believe me, he's lke wait till the test results come bakc, then
what are you gonna do when its negative? and half the world doesnt even know they
have a thyroid so.....haha

Just be careful with what you read into negative blood tests. They might not necessarily mean you don't have a thyroid problem that has manifested itself into some form of TE hair loss. This is what they call sub-clinical hypo/hyperthyroidism, where the problem levels aren't constant and spike at different times or are constant but only mild. I would suggest you get a referral to an endocrinologist who takes more specific thorough tests at three month intervals giving a more complete patterned history of all your endocrine system. Remember if one gland within the system is out of whack, the others can all become imbalanced as well, working either harder or weaker. The endocrine system is a sensitive system that can get out of balance easily and thus produce hormone imbalances. Remember all your hormones including testosterone are regulated through this system and keeping it in balance is something you want to keep as a high priority. Here are some info sites for thyroid problems.

http://www.thyroid-info.com/
http://www.drrind.com/scorecardmatrix.asp

guitarius
On A Mission

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks alot man
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Site For Sore Eyes Forum Index -> Get It Back Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: